Burditt’s Prairie Cemetery

The Burditt Prairie Cemetery was established in 1850 and is the final resting place of former slaves, emancipated African Americans and their descendants, including World War II and Korean War veterans. It was officially recognized as a historic cemetery by the State of Texas in 2004 and continues in active use. It is overseen by community based volunteers and lineal descendants who serve as officers of the Burditt Prairie Preservation Association.

Still in active use, this cemetery is an integral part of the Burditt’s Prairie Freedmen’s Community, one of Travis County’s original “Freedom Colonies” established after the Civil War. Its origins date back to 1844 when Jesse F. Burditt, an early Euro-American settler and supporter of the Texas Revolution, established a cotton plantation south of the Colorado River. According to the 1850 census the plantation was overseen by three of Burditt’s grown sons and was worked by 25 slaves, ages 1 to 66.

The full geographical extent of the cemetery is still unknown, as the eastern portion of the cemetery remains heavily vegetated and has not  been properly archaeologically surveyed to date. Funds raised will be used for upkeep, maintenance, and priority projects such as invasive vegetation control, physical security upgrades, and archaeological investigations.